Former Playboy model tr has allegedly been released from the agreement with the parent company of The National Enquirer and not is able to discuss her alleged affair with President Trump.
McDougal reached an agreement Wednesday with American Media Inc. (AMI), discharging her from the deal for the exclusive rights to her story, The New York Times reported.
McDougal had issued a suit to be freed from the agreement, pointing out that she was misinformed about the terms. She also alleged that Michael Cohen, Trump’s personal attorney, inadequately intervened in the deal.
The publisher, whose chairman, David Pecker, is a friend of Trump’s, purchased the rights to her story for $150,000 ahead of the 2016 election but never ran any pieces on it, using a tabloid “catch and kill” maneuver.
In accordance with Wednesday’s terms, AMI will preserve the rights to photographs of McDougal that it purchased and holds claim over up to $75,000 in any future profits she makes off the story. The former Playboy model plans to keep the primary $150,000 payment.
“Today, I’m doing my victory dance,” McDougal told the Times, adding she currently has no plans to sell her tale to a second buyer.
“It’s a total win,” said her lawyer, Peter Stris. “We got everything we were fighting for — she got out of the contract, gets the life rights back and owes AMI nothing more.”
The alleged affair, which McDougal claims took place over a decade ago, came after Trump’s marriage to now-first lady Melania Trump.
AMI had called for McDougal’s case dismissal in court, but that happened before last week’s FBI breaks-in on Cohen’s home and office, allegedly searching for documents on McDougal, among other topics.
The forced entry came in part from a referral from special counsel Robert Mueller.
Cohen is allegedly being criminally investigated for potential campaign finance and bank embezzlement infringements.
The Times reports that AMI is facing a Federal Election Commission complaint that its $150,000 payment to McDougal was an unlawful campaign expenditure.
Cohen is still being sued by adult-film star Stormy Daniels, another woman who says she was paid so that she stayed quiet about an affair with Trump.
The White House says Trump refutes both women’s stories.